w/c SATURDAY 31st JULY 2021 – 7 DAYS – Thank you for your interest in this week unfortunately new booking now confirmed.
COVID-19 – In line with current government advice, Machair Cottage is subject to possible changes in availability at short notice as covered in our Terms & Conditions.
HIGH DEMAND EXPECTED FOR 2022 – PLEASE BOOK EARLY
The following 2022 rental prices for our holiday cottage in Scotland are per week based on lets running Saturday to Saturday to correspond with the ferry timetable.
2022 RENTAL RATES
Peak Season – £950 per week
July and August plus Whitson Week in May
High Season – £800 per week
May, June and September
Plus (*) the School holidays at Easter, school half-term weeks at February and October, Christmas and New Year holiday plus the Tiree Wave Classic week
Mid Season – £650 per week (*)
April and October
Low Season – £500 per week (*) **
January, February, March, November and December
Weeks that part overlap two seasons, for example if the last Saturday of June (high season) to the first Saturday of July (peak season) splits somewhere during that week, then the whole week is charged at the higher season rental rate.
Please enquire about specific weeks and we can hold your week on a provisional basis (without deposit) for 7 days. For late bookings (rental starts within 4 weeks of your enquiry) and for all High / Peak Season enquiries, we are only able to offer a 48 hour provisional hold before either taking your confirmed booking and deposit payment or releasing the week due to high demand at these times.
Rates include the use of electricity for heating (reasonable usage – meter readings required) and cooking, bed linen and kitchen tea-towels. Please bring your own bath towels, beach towels, travel cot, high chair etc.
SHORT WINTER BREAKS
During January, February, March, November and December the cottage can be booked for a short break (excluding school-half term weeks, Easter holidays, Christmas and New Year weeks). During these months the cottage is available for:
• 2 night break – £350**
• 3 night break – £375**
• 4 night break – £400**
**Low Season and Short Winter Breaks electricity usage – meter readings required on arrival and departure from which usage and cost will be calculated based on current Scottish Hydro rates and deducted from deposit refund.
We’ve already taken bookings for 2022 – the Summer Season fills up quickly so please book early to avoid disappointment. All bookings are Saturday to Saturday.
Please see availability calendar below and email your enquiry directly to us at email@example.com
PEAK SEASON – Weekend ferry crossings throughout July and August can get fully booked for cars several months in advance – please remember to book your ferry or flight (plus car hire) early for Peak Season bookings.
Letting Terms and Conditions
- Sorry, no pets.
- Strictly no smoking nor naked flames in or around the cottage under any circumstances.
- Maximum of 6 people (including children) staying in cottage – this booking form must be completed.
- Only visitors named on the booking form are allowed to stay in cottage and strictly no additional third party use of the cottage facilities i.e. no camper vans, nor camping around the property.
- Sorry, no surf group bookings in the cottage.
- A refundable (*see points 16-17), breakages, excess cleaning & excess electricity deposit of £150 is payable when the booking is made. This will be repaid by cheque within 21 days of the end of your rental period, minus any costs for breakages, repairs, extra cleaning or excess electricity – your rental includes a £30/week electricity (except winter and low season – see clause 10) fair usage allowance which is sufficient to meet your typical hot water, cooking and heating requirements via the electric wall fires (but excluding the storage heaters – see clause 10).
- 7.1 Infectious Disease – During an infectious outbreak we accept no responsibility regarding the transmission of infectious disease. We require visitors to keep the cottage as clean as possible during your stay, follow all government personal/hand/face hygiene guidelines and whilst out and about maintain whatever social distancing measures are current at the time of your visit. Upon your holiday departure, using disinfectant provided, please wipe down all door handles, light switches, bannister rails, kitchen tops, units, dining table top, bathroom sink, shower enclosure and tray, and lightly mop all floors throughout to minimise any risks to our housekeeper before she arrives to prepare cottage for next visitors and ensure safety of all concerned.
7.2 If at any point during your stay you or any of your party start to show symptoms associated with any infectious disease you are required to notify us by phone and email ASAP, amend travel arrangements to vacate cottage ASAP (no pro-rata refund) in order to self-isolate back home or failing that then self-isolate within the cottage until your designated departure time and, having performed all disinfectant / cleaning procedures as detailed in clauses 7 to 9, you must vacate the property no later than time stipulated at clause 19.
7.3 If for any reason a government enforced lockdown / any resulting Calmac or LoganAir reduced capacity prevents you from vacating the property on your departure date then you will be liable for the additional full weekly rental cost for the following week(s) to cover your extra time in the property. This extra rental cost will be payable immediately in full via BACS transfer on or before your original departure date. If government announcement during your holiday of forthcoming lockdown causes you to have to vacate cottage earlier than your departure date there is no pro-rata refund.
7.4 In the event self-isolating / quarantine legislation prevents your departure then you will be liable for the additional full weekly rental cost of the following week(s) to cover your extra time in the cottage. Should we have visitors arriving who will be prevented from using the cottage due to your extended occupation your extra rental payment will be plus the deposit fee again in order to reimburse them their full rental plus their deposit refund. These extra costs will be payable immediately in full via BACS transfer on or before your original departure date.
7.5 In the event you are prevented from accessing Machair Cottage on your arrival date due to previous visitors being quarantined in the property we will refund your rental payment by cheque within 7 days in full / pro-rata if the cottage becomes available during the same week. We will not be liable for any additional costs such as travel nor alternative accommodation that is more expensive than rental already paid and although we will obviously, in the circumstances, do our best to help we will not take responsibility for finding you alternative accommodation.
- The majority of our visitors treat our cottage with respect making the effort to leave the cottage as clean and tidy as possible on departure which we really appreciate. However, due to recent high number of visitors leaving the cottage in an “unsatisfactory state” on departure, return of the deposit now depends upon an email report from our housekeeper. If the report is that cottage was clean, tidy and disinfected, then the full deposit will be returned (minus any breakages/excess electricity charges if applicable – see clause 6).
- In addition to essential departure disinfecting at clause 7.1, as outlined in clause 8, we require that you leave the cottage as clean and tidy as possible, to help the changeover to run smoothly in the limited time available– an “unsatisfactory state” includes things like; dirty pots, pans, plates etc left around, washing up left out on drainer, food spillages not wiped up from fridge, cooker, grill, microwave, dining table and floors, sink left full of dirty/greasy water, foil lining from grill pan not throw in bin, rubbish left in house rather than wheelie bin at main gate, sandy floors and surfaces not swept out, soiled toilet left unflushed (yes it happens), kitchen / bathroom left dirty, dirty laundry left on beds or on floors rather than in laundry bin provided. This is not an exhaustive list – it’s more indicative of things considered an “unsatisfactory state”. If the cottage is left in an unsatisfactory state / not cleaned on departure, we will email you a copy of the report together with any relevant photos resulting in the loss of your deposit and no further correspondence will be entered into. Clauses 7 to 9 – “vacate cottage” time put back to 9.30am allow you time to clean, tidy, and disinfect prior to your departure – failure to do so will result in loss of £150 deposit. We apologise to those that consider these terms unreasonable but, under the circumstances, everyone has to take responsibility for maintaining adequate levels of hygiene – without your co-operation we will not be able to let the cottage. Please leave the cottage as you’d expect to find it.
- We ask you to take meter readings both on arrival and departure – you are more than welcome to use the storage heaters (although they’re only generally required during the winter months) however extra electricity charges are likely to apply beyond your £30/week inclusive allowance and will be deducted from your deposit refund as outlined in clause 6. The £30/week inclusive allowance does not apply to any Low Season booking nor Short Winter Break and actual usage will be charged according to your meter readings at the current Scottish Power rates.
- Any breakages or damage caused, in excess of the £150 breakages deposit, will be charged for and must be paid in full within 14 days of the end of your rental or as soon as appropriate repair / replacement estimates have been sourced accordingly. You will also be liable for any consequential losses we incur i.e. if as a direct result of your actions we have to cancel visitors already booked or withdraw cottage availability then you will be liable for the cost to fully reimburse us for any loss of rental income plus reimbursement of visitor deposit and rental refunds together with any associated costs incurred e.g. legal fees, listing agency cancellation fees etc.
- The preferred method of payment is Bank Transfer direct to our account.
- The rental payment is due in full 12 weeks before your holiday. At this stage you will have paid the full rental amount plus the deposit.
- If your booking is made less than 12 weeks before your holiday date then the rental payment plus the refundable deposit amount are both payable in full at the time of booking.
- For “Late Availability” bookings, payment must be received in full and cleared prior to the start of your actual rental otherwise entry to the cottage will not be possible.
- 16.1 Visitor Cancellation (excluding Government Travel Restrictions – clause 17)
16.2 Deposit Only Paid – Cancellation for any reason, made before the 12 week rental payment due date, will forfeit the £150 deposit paid at the time of booking.
16.3 Deposit and Rental Paid In Full – Cancellation for any reason within 12 weeks of your holiday date i.e. after the deposit and the full rental payment have been paid, will forfeit the £150 deposit as stated at 16.2. In addition any refund of the main rental will be at our discretion, dependent solely on whether or not we are able to re-rent the cottage for that same period. Any refund due, if applicable, will be equal to whatever rental amount we receive for re-letting the week, up to but not exceeding your original rental payment and such refund will not be paid to you until we are in receipt of rental payment in full from new booking party. Should we be unable to re-rent the cottage for that same week then we are entitled to retain your original rental payment in full. We will of course do our best to re-book the week and will advertise the week(s) as late availability on our website and, if available, the Tiree Community website as well.
16.4 Bookings (both “deposit only paid” and “rental paid in full”) can however be transferred to an alternative date either later the same year or anytime the following year at no additional deposit cost – rescheduled bookings will be subject at all times to availability and charged + the seasonal rental adjustment should your rescheduled booking be at a more expensive rate. If a less expensive seasonal week is booked any refund of the difference will be subject to all criteria as stated in clause 16.3 i.e. dependent solely on whether or not we are able to re-rent the cottage for the original period.
16.5 In the event you transfer your booking to a later date and then subsequently choose to cancel the rescheduled booking you will forfeit the £150 deposit as per clause 16.2. In addition, for “rental paid in full” any such cancellation of rescheduled bookings will be treated as “cancelled at less than 12 weeks” and any refund of the main rental will be as stated in clause 16.3 i.e. subject to whether or not we are able to re-rent the cottage for the rescheduled week..
- 17.1 Government Cancellation
17.2 Deposit Only Paid – In the event government intervention makes it illegal to travel / use holiday accommodation thereby automatically cancelling your booking before the 12 week rental payment is due, we will offer you the opportunity to reschedule to an alternative date either later the same year or anytime the following year at no additional deposit cost. You will have 60 days from date of cancellation to choose either:
17.3 Option A – Accept cancellation and receive full refund of £150 deposit.
17.4 Option B – Reschedule to an alternative date and having done so we will confirm new booking details, payment schedule etc. Rescheduled bookings will be subject at all times to availability and charged + / – whatever the seasonal rental rate is for the rescheduled booking.
17.5 Deposit and Rental Paid In Full – In the event government intervention makes it illegal to travel / use holiday accommodation thereby automatically cancelling your booking within 12 weeks of your holiday date i.e. after the deposit and the full rental payment have been paid, we will offer you the opportunity to reschedule to an alternative date either later the same year or anytime the following year at no additional deposit cost. You will have 60 days from date of cancellation to choose either:
17.6 Option C – Accept cancellation – In the event you decide you do not wish to transfer your booking to a later date your rental payment will be refunded in full (subject to clause 17.10) plus your £150 deposit payment.
17.7 Option D – Reschedule to an alternative date and having done so we will confirm new booking details, payment schedule etc. Rescheduled bookings will be subject at all times to availability and charged + / – whatever the seasonal rental rate is for the rescheduled booking.
17.8 In the specific event further government intervention makes it illegal to travel / use holiday accommodation thereby automatically cancelling your rescheduled booking (17.4 / 17.7) again, you can cancel the booking as per clause 17.6. Alternatively you can transfer your booking again to another later date – subject at all times to availability and charged + / – whatever the seasonal rental rate is for the rescheduled booking.
17.9 In the event you transfer your booking to a later date (17.4 / 17.7 / 17.8) and then subsequently choose to cancel the rescheduled booking (i.e. cancel for any reason other than further government intervention making it illegal to travel thereby directly affecting your rescheduled booking) you will forfeit the £150 deposit. In addition any refund of the main rental will be at our discretion, dependent solely on whether or not we are able to re-rent the cottage for your rescheduled week. Any refund due, if applicable, will be equal to whatever rental amount we receive for re-letting the week, up to but not exceeding your original rental payment and such refund will not be paid to you until we are in receipt of rental payment in full from new booking party. Should we be unable to re-rent the cottage for that same week then we are entitled to retain your original rental payment in full. We will of course do our best to re-book the week and will advertise the week(s) as late availability on our website and, if available, the Tiree Community website as well.
17.10 Refund of any rental money as outlined throughout section 17 sub-clauses will be paid within 30 days from date of cancellation and strictly subject to written confirmation directly from your holiday insurance company that your policy does not provide a refund for cancellation due to government restrictions – see clause 18. In the event it subsequently transpires that we have paid you a refund for a booking cancelled due to Government Restrictions, and in addition you receive an insurance payment for the same cancelled booking, then we will enter proceedings to recover our refund from you in full together with any associated recovery costs.
17.11 In the event the government advises against travel around specific dates, but does not make it illegal to do so, after the deposit and the full rental payment has been paid, we will offer you the opportunity to reschedule to an alternative date either later the same year or anytime the following year at no additional deposit cost – clause 17.7 applies (and thereafter 17.9 if applicable). Alternatively if you choose to cancel, given it’s on advice rather a legal requirement, you will forfeit your £150 deposit and any refund of your rental payment will be subject to how close your actual holiday date is from the date of cancellation:
Over 12 weeks = 100% refund. Over 8 weeks = 75% refund. Over 4 weeks = 50% refund, less than 4 weeks = 25% refund.
17.12 All visitors must ensure they adhere to whatever government travel guidance / tier system / vaccination passport scheme might be in operation at the time of your scheduled rental dates e.g. do not travel from higher tier areas to lower tier areas and visa-versa etc. In the event we become aware of a breach of such guidelines we are entitled to terminate your booking with immediate effect and without refund of your main rental payment. Our Housekeeper, together with police assistance if necessary, will require you to vacate the property within 24 hours – in these circumstances clauses 6 to 9 above continue to apply and return of your deposit will still depend on you leaving the property in a satisfactory condition.
- It is a condition of booking that you have comprehensive holiday insurance to cover all eventualities including cancellations – we do not carry insurance on your behalf – in the event you cancel for any reason or Government Restrictions force a cancellation, ensure your holiday insurance provides cover for circumstances such as outlined in clauses 7, 16 and 17. You are responsible for the terms of cover of your own holiday insurance and we accept no responsibility for any shortfall, omissions, exclusions or otherwise in your insurance policy. We also recommend that you book the ferry (or plane + car hire) at the time of booking particularly for High and Peak season bookings.
Please click here to check the ferry timetable and contact Calmac Ferries
- Exit and entry times are fixed to allow enough cleaning time between lets so the cottage can be presented to the next party as they would expect to find it. On Saturday changeovers between March and October, the ferry arrives in Tiree at 11.00am therefore:
On date of arrival – Entry to the cottage after 2.30pm.
On date of departure – Please vacate cottage by 9.30am. (Extra time included to allow you to clean before you depart – see clauses 7 to 9)
- All information provided both on the website and elsewhere, both prior to and after a booking is made, is given in good faith, and we will, as far as we’re reasonably able to, make sure it is as accurate as possible. However we shall not be liable for any damage or loss resulting from information given either verbally or in writing.
- We will not accept any liability or responsibility during your stay at Machair Cottage for any accident or injury to you, your family or friends, or loss or damage to personal property, howsoever caused – also, note the cottage sits on open farm land with seasonal grazing of cattle for which we accept no liability or responsibility for any damage they may cause to parked vehicles – we also advise visitors to take care and remain wary of the cattle when walking across open machair.
- Please be advised that it is an old cottage and as such the stairs are fairly steep – please supervise young children accordingly.
- In the unlikely event that Machair Cottage, Heanish becomes uninhabitable for the whole duration of your rental period / at any point during your rental period due to storm damage, flood, fire or other unforeseen causes beyond our control, e.g. previous visitor damage, see clause 11, our responsibility and financial liability shall be limited to the return of the rental money received / pro-rata thereof – however, this does not include rental refunds in the event the ferry or plane is delayed or cancelled due to adverse weather conditions, traffic delays or any other unforeseen delay or circumstances – please ensure comprehensive holiday insurance is taken out as per clause 18.
- The cottage is cleaned and maintained to a high standard however we cannot legislate for every eventuality / visitor activity outside of our control. Visitor activity such as cooking for example, which may lead to strong but temporary after-smells, would not render the cottage uninhabitable for the next visitor and no refund/pro-rata refund will be made.
- We reserve the right to amend these conditions at any time and without notice. E&OE.
- The personal information collected on the Booking Form is to allow us to have a suitable record of who is staying at Machair Cottage. We may also use it to contact you in the future to make you aware of further availability of the cottage – please advise us if you do not wish to be contacted. We will not share or sell this information to any third party.
- Terms as of 15th January 2021 – most up-to-date terms appear on our website which in turn supersede all Booking Forms.